Gotcha Day


Today is the one year anniversary of Ruby’s Gotcha Day. I will never forget the moment I saw her for the first time in person. She was across the waiting room in the arms of one of the orphanage staff. At first we weren’t sure it was her because she was SO small, but she was wearing the shirt from the outfit I sent to the orphanage in a care package. Up to this point we only saw her in four pictures and three, six-second videos which I watched over and over every day studying this beautiful little being. I studied her thin, patchy hair, knobby knees, beautiful eyes and how one is smaller than the other and how she was fascinated by her hands and played with them as if they were her only toys. I was her mother, yet she had no idea who I was. She hadn’t been lulled to sleep by the beat of my heart for nine months or memorized the sound of my voice from the depths of the womb. She didn’t recognize my familiar smell or search out my face in the crowd. The profound responsibility and privilege of raising another mother’s child became very clear to me that day. The months of preparation and prayers were about to be realized in a municipal building in Nanning, Guangxi, China.




We were brought into a small room with white walls and I sat in one of two chairs. Steve and the kids stood as they brought Ruby in and immediately handed her to me. The orphanage staff pointed to me and said, “Momma” to Ruby. I could not believe that the little girl I fell in love with in pictures was now actually in my arms. She was so tiny and I could not help but kiss her and smell her and touch her soft skin. She did not immediately cry but kept trying to look behind her for the familiar person who had just handed her over.

They told us that Ruby had a good nap on the three hour trip over and had eaten some congee and bread. They told us she could only be fed small amounts or she will get sick and she drank a special formula before bed. That was it. Those were all the instructions we received (or perhaps that I heard) that morning. 


They took us to a “play room” which was a small room lined with chairs and a few toys for us to play with her. It was then that she realized there was no one familiar near her. It was about 5 minutes before the other family came in with the girl they adopted. The two girls were from the same orphanage but didn’t really engage much with each other. Ruby appeared very confused but would go by anyone who had the snacks. We played for a while and then headed back to the hotel to begin our journey as a family of six!!



So much has happened over the past year that has gone by so quickly. In the past 2 months, Ruby has begun smiling more and laughing too. She seemed to attach to us early on but always seemed to have a sadness about her. I suppose she was grieving for her old situation. Imagine losing every hint of familiarity and not understanding why. No wonder the actual act of being adopted is considered a traumatic event for adoptees. I can’t help but think about all that she went through to have this day written on our calendar. She has endured more in the short few years of her life than any child should. Her quiet, little strength and the love she gives everyone she meets is incredible. 



 But now those sad eyes have turned to more happy eyes. She seeks us out with every little accomplishment and smiles with praise. She smiles when I get her out of her crib in the morning. She smiles when we walk through the door. She smiles and giggles when I say “snack.” She is beginning to trust us and it is so heartwarming. I know she will continue to struggle with emotions, especially when she hears her story. But I also know that she could not be more loved than she is today and will always be. Our family and friends have been so supportive and amazing to us and we are very blessed.









Ruby and Emersyn, her 'orphanage sister' taken three weeks ago when the Meulenberg family came to visit from Michigan.





















So today we celebrate our path that led us to Ruby. We celebrate her path that led her to us. And every year on this date, we will celebrate our beautiful little Roo. 



I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him. Samuel 1:27




Comments